With the upholstery you can make scenographic the walls of the house, giving to the environment new perspective effects. Here are some indications on how to try yourself in the work.
For those who want to try the DIY upholstery, we recommend first of all to choose a single wall, the one you want to make the focal point of the room (for example the one behind the bed in the room or, in the living, the wall to which the sofa is pulled).
For DIY, better to choose a upholstery in TNT (or with TNT base), because the pose is easier, since you put the glue directly on the wall and not on the paper, and you remove easily leaving a minimal trace.
How to proceed
1. Since the first cloth depends on the final result, to put it perfectly straight, it is advisable to help with a plumb and a ruler, by drawing with a pencil the line indicated by the lead wire on the wall. This line should be followed to spread the first cloth.
2. Cover the radiators so that they do not get dirty and remove the skirtings if possible.
3. Apply glue to the wall. For geometric tapestries in non-woven fabric it is necessary to apply a specific glue (for sale in the DIY shops) to be applied directly on the wall, in portions corresponding to the individual sheets. The glue dries quickly, so it is better to spread a little at a time. Normally it is a powder to be mixed with water. To avoid splashing, you can use a small paint roller. The glue must be applied generously and evenly.
4. Place the folded cloth of wallpaper on your arm and climb on the ladder. Align it with the line created with the lead wire, calculating a surplus of 5 cm towards the ceiling. Place the cloth on the wall and unroll the bent part towards the floor. With a wallpaper brush, flatten the cloth, starting from the center outwards.
5. The cloth should then be pressed onto the wall using a roller. Do not use too much force to prevent the paper from moving or starting to slide. The rollers are in rubber, foam or foaming material. If you are working with particularly delicate surfaces, choose one in foam rubber or foaming material. The purpose is also to get the trapped air out.
If you have put too much glue and leaks, it should be removed immediately. Just absorbent kitchen paper to remove it, then you have to pass a sponge cloth and wipe a dry cloth until each trace of glue will be gone. Be careful not to rub, not to damage the surface of the wallpaper.
If the edges of the paper do not stick well to the wall, add more glue with a thin brush.
Proceed by applying all the sheets, taking care to match the drawings and let them dry.
6. Cut surpluses at the base and at the top. The work will be easier if the plinms have been removed. Use a ruler, spatula, or upholsterer line to press the upper and lower margins and cut the excess paper with a cutter.
- Lead Wire
- Upholsterer Roller
- Upholstery Brush
Well to see full screen the effect obtained with the geometric decorum upholstery.